BBQ on the Bounty with Pirate Jonny’s
Pirate Jonny’s BBQ Rubs and Seasonings
Arrrrhhhh Matey! It’s time for BBQ Smoker action on the Bounty with our good friends from Pirate Jonny’s! I’ve known Terri Toner now for some time, and she’s always been very kind – sending me tasty samples of the various Pirate Jonny’s Rubs to try. I haven’t tried them all yet, but I’m getting there!
As a way to say thanks to Terri and her husband Jon for all the BBQ Smoker Love, I wanted to provide a little spotlight on Pirate Jonny’s and what they have going on over there!
About Pirate Jonny’s
Pirate Jonny’s was started as a result of a passion for food, travel, sailing and a love of cooking and creativity. The idea came from their frequent travels and love of food from all over. They didn’t want to compete with other businesses that were already doing the typical Cajun, Mediterranean seasonings, or Southwest & Southern BBQ.
Desire for Caribbean and Florida Style Flavor Sparks Creative Genius
Terri and the Jon “AKA the Pirate” could not ever seem to find Caribbean & Florida Seasonings they really liked and felt there was a need to fill.
In the summer of 2010, while making BBQ rubs at home for guests and get-togethers, Terri and the Pirate found that they were making BBQ rub 1-2 pounds at a time. The recipe kept changing with each creation, so one day, they wrote it all down and Pirate Jonny’s had its first recipe!
Their friends liked it, and they decided to have some fun and make larger quantities. They found themselves giving it away and decided they’d try selling it.
To get things rolling, they had a crew member of their sailboat draw Jon up as a pirate. They put together the rest of the art work, and Pirate Jonny’s was born!
Just for fun, in January 2011, Terri and the Pirate submitted their Caribbean Rub to the National BBQ Association and they won 2nd place! That was confirmation they were on the right track.
They then developed the other seasoning blends and rubs based on regional food types that they enjoyed such as Jamaican Jerk and Cuban Mojo. This resulted in the product line of eight flavors that they produce today.
All of the Pirate Johnnhy’s products are hand made. They don’t shop it out to food packers, instead choosing to do all the production, bottling and label themselves to ensure consistent quality.
Sweet Island Rub Recipes
Pirate Jonny’s Sweet Island BBQ Sauce
- 2 bacon strips
- 2 medium diced onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 chopped green onions (bulbs, leaves, and all)
- 2 finely chopped jalapeno peppers (wear gloves, or you’ll regret it)
- 2 tablespoons of ground mustard
- 8 Tablespoons of Pirate Jonny’s Sweet Island BBQ Rub
- 2 cups of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of Cane Syrup
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- A dash of soy sauce & 4 tablespoons of cider vinegar & 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- First, fry the bacon crispy in a large saucepan, then remove the bacon and eat it.
- Saute the onions and jalapenos in the bacon drippings until they’re soft, then stir in all the other ingredients and bring it all to a boil.
- Let it go for 2-3 minutes, so the flavors will mix and then remove it from the heat.
- Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature, and then store it in a sealed container in your refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
This Basic Pirate Jonny’s BBQ sauce recipe makes about 32 ounces, which should be enough to dress a pretty big pig, plus provide all the extra sauce your diners will want to slather on it.
Definitely give Pirate Jonny’s a try. If you contact them, do be so kind as to tell them that Kevin from the BBQ Smoker Site convinced you to “Walk the Plank!”
Filed under BBQ Recipes by